π€ WHAT’S ON MY MIND?
#PSBlackout. Furious gamers haven’t logged into PlayStation Network (PSN) for over a week due to Sony’s decision to cease production of physical game discs.
“If buying isn’t owning, then pirating isn’t stealing” has become the latest catch phrase making the rounds, and those that utter it aren’t wrong. Sony’s other recent decision to remove over 500 digitally purchased StudioCanal movies and TV shows from users’ libraries highlights the danger of buying digital media: You’re purchasing a revocable license to stream or download content.
Keep that in mind the next time you buy a movie, TV show, or book from Apple or Amazon.
π§³WHERE I’VE BEEN
GameStop. I’m actively searching for pre-owned Nintendo Switch versions of my favorite PS5 games. Friday’s haul from the location closest to Le Crash Pad included Hot Wheels: Unleashed, Akiba’s Trip: Undead Undressed Director’s Cut, and Stray.
I also splurged on Monopoly: Star Wars Heroes vs Villains, which came with Nintendo’s new Game-Key Card instead of a game cartridge. Even though I don’t “own” the game, it won’t lose its functionality since it doesn’t require an Internet connection to access its offline features. I can play against in-person and AI opponents to my heart’s content.
π️ WHAT I BOUGHTA midweek Best Buy visit netted a NEXT game vault case and a Joy-Con 2 wheel 2-pack. The case holds up to 24 game cards or game-card keys, and it fits inside my Switch 2 travel case. Those wheels can be used for racing games after you insert a Joy-Con controller in its center. I might slip one inside my backpack for my upcoming trip.
I also renewed NFL Sunday Ticket. Thanks to a special offer, I only paid about $16.60 per game for the right to feel miserable for seventeen weekends between September and January. Go Raiders!
πΊ WHAT I WATCHED
About ten minutes of the Raiders’ final preseason game. I liked what little I saw of rookie quarterback Fernando Mendoza, but I must temper my enthusiasm. I still remember when Tim Tebow was anointed the second coming during his first training camp, only to have his flaws exposed during his first NFL season as a starter. I expect Mendoza to struggle, but unlike Tebow I also expect him to improve.
π WHAT I READ
I finished reading Date A Live, Volume 16 but I’ve barely put a dent in my comics and manga backlog. I’ve got a lot of reading to do this week.
π§ WHAT I LISTENED TO
On a whim I streamed SiriusXM’s The Blend, a mix of 70s and 80s pop. I had nearly forgotten how good Wings, ABBA and Steely Dan were in their heyday.
π· WHAT I PAIRED SUNDAY NIGHT
A 2021 Callaway Special Selection Malbec with a homemade chimichurri beef bowl. I love how it’s rustic appearance belies a pairing that would fetch $50 at a winery restaurant. Yes, I’m having scrumptious leftovers for dinner tonight.
ππ€‘ THE GAVIN NEWSOM AWARD (THE SCUMBAG OF THE WEEK)
- The Offender: Milo Yiannopoulos
- The Offenses: The far-right provocateur, who made a career out of stances such as anti-illegal immigration, was captured then swiftly deported by ICE over the weekend for overstaying his visa. The irony!
- The Verdict: π€πΌ (1/5 slaps). Milo is invisible now, justifying the downgrade to one slap.
π€πΌ WHO DESERVES A FIST BUMP
Unfortunately, no one stood out this week. Moving on…
π WHAT I’M PLANNING
This week I’ll visit a new (to me) winery that features a tasting room, a bistro, patio seating and live music. Before I join another wine club, I must sample the goods before I commit to a minimum number of shipments. I’ll also take a few pictures of the place to liven up the blog in the near future.
π WHAT MADE ME SMILE
The persistent heat wave is over. The temperatures are still hotter than average for this time of year, but at least we don’t have to deal with heat advisories and warnings for the time being. I look forward to getting a consistent, comfortable six hours of sleep again soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment