Monday Morning Musings

WHAT’S ON MY MIND

A birthday. Esmae turned 25 over the weekend and I made a special dinner for “us” Saturday night. More on that later…

WHERE I’VE BEEN

It’s no secret I enjoyed a two night stay in Temecula Valley last week but I cannot confirm or deny the rumor my mail is now forwarded to the hotel. 

WHERE I’M GOING

I’m running low on Olio Santo EVOO. Perhaps I’ll grace Williams Sonoma with my presence soon?

WHAT I WATCHED

After a three month break Super GT was back in action at Fuji Speedway. Although my favorite teams fared poorly it was still an enjoyable race to watch on Racer+.

WHAT I READ

While I was on the road I picked up and finished the latest Writer’s Digest issue. I don’t recall reading anything else during the week.

WHAT I LISTENED TO

For unknown reasons I listened to The Eagles Greatest Hits while traveling through Temecula’s rural parts. They sure don’t make music like that anymore.


WHAT I ATE ON THE ROAD

I felt daring when I ordered the pickled watermelon and pineapple salad at Meritage. When paired with a Wild Yeast Muscat Canelli it was delightfully chaotic. The wine was either agreeable or had its various fruit notes drawn to the forefront depending on what was on your fork. I really want to eat this again soon.


WHAT I ATE AT HOME

For Esmae’s birthday I improvised due to the heat and humidity. I pan fried a seasoned one pound boneless rib eye then diced it into cubes so I’d have leftovers for Sunday night. The steak and side dishes paired wonderfully with a glass of 2017 Callaway OPR Red. 


When you add the cost of a red velvet cake slice this was an $85 home cooked birthday meal. Ara ara!

THE ANDY BURNHAM AWARD GOES TO…

The WNBA. You know it’s a reality TV dumpster fire when you can watch a race war, a gender identity war and live basketball without changing the channel. 

Dishonorable mention: The greedy fuckers at the end of the block that built at least five ADU units without off street parking have ordered exterior siding. We’re now officially one step closer to a crowded street.

WHO DESERVES A FIST BUMP

I was very pleased with the service everywhere I visited during my trip. Perhaps it’s the city’s small town vibe? A sign I need to take a permanent vacation from ADU Hell aka San Diego?

WHAT I’M PLANNING

This trip made me realize I need to travel more often. I’ve already booked two more Temecula Valley stays for September, including for my upcoming birthday.

WHAT MADE ME SMILE

The heat is supposed to ease in a few days, and I’ll be on the road again in another week. I might even make a few sales this week per my prior post.

Comments